Friday, November 4, 2011

Victoria’s Secret Angels Candice Swanepoel and Erin Heatherton Talk Getting ‘Underwear-Ready’ for the Runway, How to Walk in Heavy Wings and Doing Ballet Down the Runway


Candice Swanepoel and Erin HeathertonBlond Victoria’s Secret bombshells Candice Swanepoel and Erin Heatherton graciously hosted a dinner on the rooftop of the Gramercy Hotel Tuesday night to celebrate the launch of the new ‘Angel’ scent. They chowed down with us (yes, we can vouch for that) and dished about their nerves for the upcoming Victoria’s Secret runway show on November 9 (it airs on CBS on November 29), how they keep their bodies “underwear ready” all year long (they never stop working out), and addressed some misconceptions about the Angels. Both girls were refreshingly candid about their jobs and the hard work that goes into looking like they do (OK, some of it’s just genetics).
On getting in shape for the Victoria’s Secret show:
“I’ve been working out hard,” Erin told us. “I work out all year because when you’re working for Victoria’s Secret you always have to be ready to be in your underwear. It’s just a part of my life. I was an athlete growing up and it makes me happy.”
Don’t worry though, she hates working out just like the rest of us. “I’m the laziest active person ever,” she said. “I hate it but I need it. I pay my trainer in advance so I’m motivated to go–otherwise I’m wasting money. Leading up to the show there’s a lot of leg lifts and a lot of yoga and a lot of running.” 
       
Candice, who took some serious flak when she looked scary thin at a Victoria’s Secret swim event last March, admitted she burns energy so fast she has trouble keeping the weight on. We feel for her, really. “For me it’s really about trying to get a stronger body for the runway,” she said. “I try to eat a lot of protein and steak. I burn up my energy so fast that I have to eat a lot. It gets to that point where I’m like, ‘OK, one more bite.’”
“It’s funny because people don’t realize how petite we are in real life,” Candice said. “We know how to make ourselves look curvaceous. I can slip between high fashion and Victoria’s Secret quite easily.”
We even had a little sympathy for Candice after she admitted she really can never take a break from working out. When we asked if she stopped working out when she was on vacation she said, “I mean, it’s difficult. You’re conscious of [your body] every day. It’s so hard to go out of shape and get yourself back into shape so it’s almost easier to just carry on. When i’m on holiday I’ll be like, I need to go for a 20 minute run at least.” Sigh.
On getting nervous for the big runway show:
“I think the most nerve wracking part of the whole show process is the fitting because even if you have been working with Victoria’s Secret for a long time you never know if your wings are going to be really heavy or if you’re going to like your outfit,” Erin said. “It’s like opening a gift but you never know what you’re going to get. I’m so happy with mine. The outfits are so much more intricate than they ever were. They really outdid themselves.”
But will she be walking with an extra 20 lbs of wings? “I have heavy, heavy wings but I’m going to be OK,” she said. “My first wings were made out of balloons and my second wings were made out of peacock feathers. I’ve been so blessed with the light wings and now it’s my time. I’m just going to do it and not think about it. The trick is not to bounce too much because that ruins everything.”
“I get nervous until the day of the show,” Candice admitted. “It’s the anticipation. The week before you’re trying to do everything you can to look your best and then when the day comes you’re like ‘OK, there’s nothing more I can do, let’s just do this.’”
As for what she’ll be wearing? “I have three beautiful looks,” she said. “I’m opening the show in a purple tutu because the first section is a ballet section. I used to do ballet so it’s kind of perfect.” Toe shoes down the runway? Please? “No,” she said. “But when Ed [Razek, president and CEO of Victoria's Secret] was talking about it he was asking me if I could start dancing. But I have to walk. It’s my job as a model.”

No comments:

Post a Comment