Fall in love ladies with Chanel 2.55 handbags!
It's the bag every girl yearns to have, will spend everything on, and will keep for life. How is it over 50 odd years since it was first launched, and this bag is still the epitome of classic fashion?
Why is it that the price of this bag keeps increasing, yet everyone is bagging it?
Chanel 2.55 Bag was designed by Coco Chanel in February 1955. That is how the name came about. This is the first bag of its kind to have a strap. Coco saw the need to have a bag to keep her hands free, so that was how this chain bag came about.
Coco had a bitter childhood whereby both her parents died early. Her mom was killed in an accident, and shortly after, her dad committed suicide due to grief. Coco was then sent to an orphanage where she grew up.
Her time in the orphanage had a huge impact on Coco's childhood. It is said that the red color inside the 2.55 bag is her uniform color back in the orphanage.
The 2.55 also has an secret compartment in the inside of the front flap and this is rumored to be where Coco would keep her love letters during an affair she had.
The quilted leather is said to come about because jockeys then wore quilted outfits, and Coco was said to be a fan of horsebackriding. This icon bag truly represents a huge part of Coco's lifestyle and interests.
So, why is this bag worth the investment?
- It matches pretty much any outfit
- After 50+ years, it is still one of the most highly sought after fashion bags
- Thousands of celebrities and icon fashion figures swear by their 2.55s
- Thus, it makes us feel like a celebrity too
- It is the ideal size for dinner functions
- It is made of excellent leather and high quality that you can keep for years and years
- Because it's vintage, it's still never out of style!
And thanks to Karl Lagerfeld, the force behind present day Chanel, we sure are torn between the many versions of 2.55s in different colors, textures, fabrics.
To date, my 2.55 still remains my most priced bag!